On October 23, 2012, the city approved an application for the “full demolition of theatre structure” at 1515 Bedford Avenue, Brooklyn, NY.
Designed by Thomas Lamb, the 2,750 seat Savoy opened September 1, 1926 with the Fox film Fig Leaves plus six acts of vaudeville.
The Brooklyn Eagle, August 29, 1926: “The première performance will be attended by stars of the stage and screen as well as well-known executives and number of state and city officials. Following this gala event, the Savoy Theater will open its season the following matinée and there after will be devoted to the proper presentation of photoplays and vaudeville and many other screen innovations at popular prices.”
Excerpts from The Brooklyn Eagle, September 3, 1926: “The Savoy is apparently one of our leading vaudeville houses for its appointments place it on the list of the most attractive of Brooklyn’s show houses.”
“An exceptionally good vaudeville bill was offered, the favorites of which were the Brown Derby Musicians.”
“…the film proved to be unusually dull.”
After closing in 1964, the Savoy became the Charity Neighborhood Baptist Church.
Photographs copyright Betty Sword. All rights reserved.
Photo part of the Theatre Talks collection, please ask permission to copy and/or use.
At least give credit to source. We know that some people will not honor this but it would be nice if they did.